If you have been told that you will need to have some teeth extracted, you have likely been faced with the decision to choose dental implants or dentures. This is a common question that patients face, and it can be confusing for them, especially when they do not know the benefits or comparison between the two. Many patients have started to choose dental implants because they are uncomfortable with dentures or they do not want to experience any embarrassing moments such as the dentures slipping out of the mouth.
Below, Dr. Sohn will compare and contrast some of the key differences between dentures and dental implants. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us.
Dental Implants VS Dentures
1. Dental implants feel natural in the mouth and function like your natural teeth whereas dentures may feel fake or off.
2. Dental implants can preserve your jaw bone and prevent loss from occurring. They also work to preserve your facial structure whereas dentures can cause bone loss and lead to a change in your facial structure.
3. Dental implants do not require you to use any type of creams or fixatives whereas dentures do require the use of these products.
4. Dental implants are able to restore your ability to chew normally whereas dentures can restrict the types of foods that you can and cannot eat.
5. Dental implants are secured into the jaw bone while remaining stable and providing a solid foundation whereas dentures can and often do slip around and lead to irritation and discomfort in your mouth.
6. Dental implants are a permanent solution to missing teeth whereas dentures often need to be replaced or re-aligned over the years.
7. Dental implants are an investment designed to last your lifetime whereas dentures are less expensive, but they need to be replaced often.
8. Dental implants are easier to take care of and do not require extra steps whereas dentures need to be removed from the mouth and cleaned every night.
Cost Comparison: Dentures and Dental Implants
The information above compares and contrasts the two options for you and should provide you with a good idea of why one option may be better than the other for you. Dentures and dental implants can replace your teeth and while dental implants are more comfortable than dentures, you, as well as other patients, have probably noticed that dentures cost a lot less.
In fact, dentures are much cheaper up front but Dr. Sohn wants to point out that there is a continued cost with dentures which include the cost of replacement, the cost for cleaning solutions, and the cost associated with the adhesives. You will find that while dental implants are more expensive up front, they are less expensive to maintain.
Removable dentures need to be replaced every 7 to 15 years whereas dental implants can last for 25 years. This means that in one lifespan of dental implants, you can need as many as two to four denture replacements.
Dr. Sohn recommends dental implants for patients who want a lifelong and permanent solution to their missing teeth. They are worth the investment you make into them and when you compare your options side by side, most patients find that dental implants are the best option.
If you are worried about the cost of the dental implants, do not hesitate to call our Denver, CO office. We have payment plans and options available to you to ensure you can replace your missing teeth.
End Bone Loss in Your Jaw
One of the reasons why Dr. Sohn recommends dental implants is because they preserve the bone that is in your jaw and they can help keep your facial structure. Patients with dentures or missing teeth experience bone loss and they can lose their facial structure as well.
Contact Our Denver Office to Schedule a Consultation with Dr. Sohn
Two of the most important things about your tooth replacement option is that your teeth and mouth are comfortable and also ready to perform for you. Unfortunately, dentures cannot provide you with a natural look and feel, which many patients want.
Removable dentures are known to slip around in the mouth and also cause irritation and embarrassment. Dr. Sohn wants to remind you that you must clean the dentures daily, which is often a chore for many individuals. Also, adhesives must be used to keep the dentures in place.
Dental implants can provide you with a natural look and feel. If you would like to learn more about dentures, dental implants, or which option is right for you, schedule a free consultation with Dr. Sohn in our Denver, CO office.