COVID-19 is not going anywhere and because of this, it is vital that your health is protected and that you take the time to learn how to properly disinfect and clean your home. Below, you will find some tips to help provide you with the information you need. Should you have any questions about COVID, we recommend that you visit the CDC website to learn more about what you can do.
If you have any questions about your dental health or the COVID-19 precautions we are taking here at CS Family Dental, please reach out to our team.
What You NEED to Know During This Time
- Clean all items according to the recommended manufacturer’s recommendations and instructions
- ALWAYS wear disposable or reusable gloves when you clean or disinfect
- Wash your hands for 20 seconds
- ALWAYS clean all surfaces with hot water and soap BEFORE you disinfect them
- If you know someone who is sick, make sure to provide them with a separate bathroom and bedroom, when possible
Cleaning and Disinfecting: How You Should Do It
One of the biggest misconceptions is that you should wear gloves all the time, but this is not recommended because it does not actually help stop the spread of COVID-19 and could actually cause you to carry germs around longer. The best way for you to make sure that you do not catch or spread germs is to wash your hands with soap and hot water for 20 seconds and use a hand sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol in it.
Keep this in mind:
- ALWAYS practice routine cleaning of surfaces that are highly used such as toilets, handles, doorknobs, desks, tables, sinks, etc.
- Clean with hot water and soap to reduce germs, dirt, and bacteria that may live on surfaces
- Disinfect AFTER you wash the surface to kill the germs on it
Use a disinfectant from List N to clean your surfaces as these disinfectants fight coronavirus
Follow ALL directions found on the disinfectant label to ensure safe and effective use
- Most disinfectant products recommend:
- You apply the disinfectant while wearing gloves to protect yourself
- Only use the product in a well-ventilated area
- Keep all surfaces wet for the amount of time listed on the label
ALWAYS read the directions thoroughly and NEVER use the products in a poorly ventilated area, as you may harm yourself.
You should also:
- Label all chemicals that have been diluted
- Only use the recommended amount of product that is listed on the label
- Use and store chemicals out of the reach of children
- NEVER mix chemicals
- Wear both eye and skin protection
- Use water that is room temperature unless recommended otherwise on the label
You should NEVER inject, drink, eat, or breathe any disinfectant chemicals or allow them to come into direct contact with your skin as they can cause serious injuries. You should NEVER bathe your pets in any chemicals that are not approved for animal use. You should ALWAYS wear protection when using any type of chemicals or disinfectants.
If you have any questions or concerns about any types of disinfectants, reach out to the EPA. You can also learn more about COVID from the CDC.
Want to learn more about cleaning and disinfecting? Check out Part II of this series.